Thursday, December 11, 2008

My First Date ...

was a few years in the past. But, we can still enjoy meeting a classy grand lady for the first time. I had on my calendar the Dragon L' Giant game in Canton and expected to see and shoot it in the cookie cutter gym at the Canton high school gym on campus. Luckily I read in the PJStar forum the game had been moved because of a water break which put the sterile high school gym out of order. What a lucky break for the girls from Pekin and ME.

We went to where the Canton boys play -- "The ALICE"!

What a Grand Lady.  A floor with spring, real springs under it, goal supports I remember from watching the state tournaments on b/w TV from Huff Gym.  She even has a butterfly backboard in house that probably saw action in Huff -- No break-away rim on this one.

And then the memories that greet you when you enter from the street.  

And for me the picture taker, smile hunter, she has modern lights that are only turned on above the court.  Oh what a sweet background that makes.  

Well what about the games lover boy? The Dragon sophomores, who I joined early in the 3rd quarter took a victory home.  Surprise of the game -- I looked a the roster and count 15 L;Giants. I look on the floor and count five and then on the bench I only see two more players. Trouble in the Land of Giants?

In the night cap the L' Giants never trailed and were only challenged a few times by the Dragons.  It did look like an eight and zero team against a team facing challenges this season.  A double double by the Jr. L' Giant Martin was the biggest problem for the Dragons.  

My view of the L' Giants - with only two seniors on  the club, they are one year from being a contender in the Mid-Illini.  They will be respectable and fun but they probably are not in the Redbird Potter class at this time.  Can they be a spoiler -- YOU BET!





No comments: